Being involved in a motor vehicle accident can be a very stressful situation as you try to recover from your injuries and resolve financial issues. The stress is compounded if the driver who is at fault for the accident does not have insurance or only carries the minimum coverage, which does not cover your costs.

To put yourself in the best position possible, you should add as much Uninsured Motorist (UM) and Underinsured Motorist (UIM) coverage to your insurance as you can afford.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage

Uninsured Motorist (UM) coverage was designed to provide a source of recovery when a driver without any insurance causes harm. UM coverage is paid by your insurance company to cover the costs incurred due to the accident.

Underinsured Motorist Coverage

Underinsured Motorist (UIM) coverage will protect you if the at-fault driver has insurance that isn’t sufficient to cover your costs. With UIM coverage, your insurance company pays you the damages that you would have recovered had the other driver carried full coverage.

There are thousands of drivers on the road who are uninsured or underinsured and they cannot cover your losses. Medical bills, hospital stays, medications, lost wages, and other costs associated with your injuries will all be covered, subject to the policy limit.

Your attorney will need to present evidence proving the other driver was at fault and that the insurance policy does not cover the complete costs of the injuries sustained. Technically, you are filing a claim against your own insurance policy. While this may sound strange, just remember that you paid for this coverage to protect you in precisely these types of situations.

In some cases, your insurance company will attempt to deny at UM/UIM claim. It is always best to be represented by an attorney from the very beginning of your case. The Law Office of Thomas Grier has successfully litigated UM/UIM coverage matters.

If you have additional questions about UM/UIM coverage, please call us at 480-788-5293.